The village of Patokoski, near Rovaniemi, provides an interesting opportunity for businesses to develop unique, high-quality hotel accommodation, experience-based accommodation, and adventure services.
Magic Light River Hotel
- Hotel lot 8,500 square meters
- Developable main building: 1,200 square meters
- Detached house 85 square meters
- Row houses (8 apartments)
- Two vacant lots (4,600 sqm and 18,800 sqm)
- Forest area of 36 hectares
- Price € 850 000
Lapland is on a positive trend in terms of tourism. The strong international brand attracts customers from around the world. In 2019, over 700,000 overnight stays were registered in Rovaniemi. Rovaniemi has gained growth from the international market, most notably from Asia. Demand is estimated to grow even further. Airlines have opened several direct routes for the winter season, and tourism traffic is increasing. Because of the rapid growth in recent years, the region’s accommodation capacity has become insufficient, particularly in the winter season.
Main building by the Ounasjoki River
Patokoski is located 30 minutes drive away from Rovaniemi’s city center, by the road from Rovaniemi to Kittilä and Levi. The international Rovaniemi Airport is easily accessible. There are also several buses departing for Patokoski daily.
The location is ideal, the lot is limited by the free-flowing Ounasjoki River on one side and the main road 79 from Rovaniemi to Kittilä on the other side. The developable main building is 1,200 square meters. Erkki Suhanko, who is in charge of managing the property, says that the building is an old school.
– Based on the surveys, calculations, and preliminary facility plan, the building can be renovated for accommodation purposes with reasonable expenses. The building is made of stone, it’s in good condition engineering-wise, and it’s heated with wood pellets. According to the plan, the main building could house a total of 40 beds in spacious hotel rooms, a restaurant, conference and meeting rooms, and pleasant lobby and lounge areas. On the bottom floor, customers could enjoy sauna facilities with various wellness services and recreational areas.
The hotel lot is located by the free-flowing Ounasjoki River, the appearance of which is completely different each season. The lighting conditions of the location are also exciting, Suhanko says.
– On summer mornings and evenings, the natural light creates a magical atmosphere at the riverside, whereas in the winter, the light phenomena include the northern lights. Even the project’s name is based on these phenomena: Magic Light River Hotel.
Suhanko hopes that an entrepreneur can be found for the location, and the property can be used for tourism use that suits the environment.
Capacity and operations can be expanded
In addition to the main building, the entity to be sold includes eight apartments in row houses, two vacant lots with municipal infrastructure as well as a well-maintained detached house on its own lot. Apartments in the row houses can also be used for accommodation purposes, says Suhanko.
– With these apartments, the total capacity would increase to 60 beds, or even more than 70 with extra beds in the rooms.
With a total of more than 4.5 hectares of waterfront area, there is a big potential for development of the area.
– The vacant lots have space for building new accommodation capacity: such as cabins that make use of the beautiful riverside, or glass igloos.
There is also a natural forest area of 36 hectares within walking distance from the hotel, with a view of the beautiful Lappish hills. A hut or a lean-to is being planned for the forest to act as the base for adventure services.
– It would also be possible to implement high-quality glamping or tensile accommodation in the forest area. These types of solutions would fit well into the surrounding nature, not to mention that demand for these solutions is on the increase.
Magic Light River -hanke kartalla
Lapin Leijona Oy
+358 400 695 250