The region of Ounasvaara offers tourism and catering operators good business potential in the immediate vicinity of a ski resort and golf course.
Address: Golfkentäntie 13–16
- Total size of plots 36 615 m²
- Total building rights 14 645 k-m2
- Investment potential approx. 30–40 million €
- Business potential for tourism and catering operators and investors
- Attractive location on the outskirts of Ounasvaara near Kemijoki river
A brilliant investment opportunity is being made available in Rovaniemi, in the stunning region of Ounasvaara. A tourism business operator is sought for the unique resort-like site. The plots at Golfkentäntie offer good business potential to, for example, tourism and catering operators and investors.
There are many year-round tourism-supporting services in the region of Ounasvaara, such as Ounasvaara Ski Resort, a Golf park, outdoor trails and other sports and leisure opportunities. In addition to this, River Kemijoki runs alongside, offering water sports and increasing the attractiveness during all seasons of the year.
The plots are located in a pleasant forest-like area. The site is easily accessible, and the city centre of Rovaniemi is a stone’s throw away. The airport and railway station can be reached in approximately ten minutes by car.
– The site’s location is unique on the northern slope of the ski resort, close to the centre, and surrounded by wilderness-like nature and a comprehensive, year-round route network. Furthermore, the vicinity of the golf course and summer activities provide an opportunity to also utilise the summer tourism seasons and different customer groups very well, without forgetting the locals, explains Matti Impiö, Business Developer at Business Rovaniemi.
Rovaniemi shall offer the valuable RM plots in an open transfer tender. The tender can be participated in by completing an application, which includes preparing a proposal for the use of the plots in accordance with the transfer tender rules. The aim is to produce a high-quality entity, which considers the area’s nature and is a natural part of the other services and operations in the area.
The transfer of the plots shall take place as a sale. The value of the plots is approximately two million euros, and the total investment for the operator is approximately 30 – 40 million euros. Further tender instructions and additional information can be found on Business Rovaniemi site and by contacting Business Rovaniemi.
Increasing demand for year-round tourism
Rovaniemi is considered to be the capital of Lapland. The city of more than 60,000 residents is located in a central location in terms of Arctic collaboration, and it is easily accessible in many ways. A flight from Helsinki takes about an hour and a half, and the city can also easily be reached by train. As a result of the increased demand for rail transport, VR is acquiring new night and vehicle carriages for the Rovaniemi line.
Internationally, Rovaniemi is known as the home city of Santa Claus and for its location in the Arctic Circle. After the metropolitan area, Rovaniemi is Finland’s second most international tourism destination. Before the coronavirus pandemic, two-thirds of Rovaniemi’s tourists were from abroad. The largest markets were China, Great Britain, France, and Germany.
The strong growth of Lapland’s tourism industry before the coronavirus crisis forecasts a bright future for the recovery of the industry. In Rovaniemi, accommodation sales grew by up to 16 per cent in 2019, which was more than the average accommodation sales of the province of Lapland. RevPAR (Revenue per available room) was similar to that of Helsinki. In 2019, there were almost one million overnight stays in Rovaniemi, and the average level of room occupation was approximately 60 %.
– There is a strong demand for high-quality tourism in Rovaniemi, which supplements the selection of services in Ounasvaara and the city centre area. Before the coronavirus pandemic, the bottleneck of the extremely rapid growth of winter tourism was the lack of accommodation capacity. The recovery of tourism has started in Europe, and the messages in terms of the winter season 2021-2022 are positive. It looks like the build-up of demand for travel, the good vaccine situation and Lapland’s safety are good for Rovaniemi’s tourism, says Impiö.
In addition to popular nature sites and sports services, the comprehensive selection of restaurants and cultural sites makes Rovaniemi an attractive travel destination for domestic and international tourists. Thus, the pleasant Arctic city is an intriguing destination for many types of tourists.
International Rovaniemi is an excellent growth platform for companies. In addition to vocational colleges, the University of Lapland and the polytechnics increase the number of skilled professionals in the area. Furthermore, the opportunities to network and collaborate with other operators of the industry enrichen business operations.