There are a variety of funding options, grants and other paths of support for high-quality film and television production in Finland.
Finland, Scandinavia and Europe offer a number of funding options, grants, and other support for high-quality films and television shows produced in Finland.
25% Cash Rebate
Film in Finland offers a national 25% rebate for film production costs accrued in Finland.
Finnish Film Foundation
The Finnish Film Foundation supports and promotes the Finnish Film industry. Founded in 1969, The Foundation operates under the Ministry of Education and Culture. The Foundation hands out around 24 million euros annually in support of the production, distribution, exhibition and promotion of films. Production support is given to an average of 80 films per year. It is available for feature films, animations, short films, documentaries and television series.
International co-productions are also eligible for production support from The Finnish Film Foundation when a Finnish co-producer is involved. The Foundation funds around 8 to 10 minority co-productions every year with a support budget of around €1 million. The amount of production support for minority co-productions has traditionally ranged from 25 000 to 500 000 euros, depending on the Finnish creative/technical input. There are no spend requirements for the support, nor is the support recoupable.
Support eligibility for co-productions is determined with the following criteria:
- Involvement of a Finnish co-producer with Finnish distribution rights
- Artistic and/or technical input from Finland
- Distribution of the project in Finland
- The relevance of the project for Finnish audiences
- Possibilities for an ongoing co-operation between the parties
The Support Application is made by the Finnish coproducer. There are no fixed deadlines for applying but it is recommended that the Finnish co-production partner is brought in at as early a stage as possible.
Nordic producers, distributors and organizers of high-quality film and TV productions in the five Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) can apply for support from the Nordisk Film & TV Fond.
- Eurimages is the cultural support fund of the Council of Europe. With an annual budget of €25 million, they aim to promote co-productions between the member states (37 of the 47 European countries) of fiction, animation and documentary feature films of a minimum length of 70 minutes.
- Creative Europe MEDIA provides opportunities for independent European television production companies creating drama, animation or documentary series.